No one in the tri-state area is likely to forget the day Phineas and Ferb transformed their backyard into a beachside paradise. Not only was it one of the few times that Candace actually joined in the fun, but Phineas pulled off a spectacular winning performance in the surfing contest. Inspired by the bright orange and purple board he rode to victory, these cookie-topped cupcakes make a great treat to “surf” up at a summer party. The beach sand at the base of the boards is crushed peanuts, but you can use plain cookie crumbs if you prefer.
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 55 mins
What You’ll Need
- Plastic kitchen gloves (for kneading food coloring into the dough)
- Batch of sugar cookie dough (homemade or storebought)
- Food coloring
- Rolling pin
- Wax paper
- Kitchen knife
- Wire rack
- Baked cupcakes
- Crushed peanuts or plain cookie crumbs
How To Make It
- Print and cut out the template.
- Wearing plastic kitchen gloves, knead orange food coloring into half of the cookie dough and purple food coloring into the rest. This is a fun job for kids. Wrap the dough in plastic and keep it chilled until you’re ready to use it. (Note: If you want to use cookie crumbs instead of crushed peanuts for the beach sand, reserve a small portion of plain dough to bake and then crush when the cookies are cool.)
- To make the surfboard cookies, press equal portions of orange and purple dough into a single ball and knead the dough just a few times.
- Cover your work surface with flour-dusted wax paper, and roll the dough out to about a 1/4-inch thickness. You should see a random pattern of colors at this point.
- Use the template and a kitchen knife to cut out a bunch of surfboard cookies. Bake and cool the cookies according to the recipe directions.
- Frost the cupcakes and top them with small mounds of crushed peanuts or cookie crumbs. Then press the base of a surfboard cookie down into the center of each cupcake. Surf’s up!