According to weird girl, her cat Mr. Whiskers has a — shall we say — unique gift for seeing how the future is going to shape up. Inspired by the furry, fortune-telling feline, this chocolate-coconut treat lets kids look for their own letter clues in a bag of pretzels.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
Total Time: 30 mins
What You’ll Need
- Wax paper
- Chocolate chips or chocolate Candy Melts
- Small microwavable bowl
- Butter knife
- Shredded coconut
How To Make It
- Cover your work surface with wax paper. Help your child break the pretzels into pieces that resemble letters of the alphabets. You’ll be able to create some letters (such as C, V or E) in one piece. Others may require using 2 or 3 pieces. For example, a short straight pretzel piece set across the top of a curved piece makes a J, and a curved piece set below a V-shape makes a Y.
- Once you have a bunch of letters, melt ½ cup or so of chocolate chips or Candy Melts in a microwavable bowl, heating them for 10- to 15-second intervals until they are soft enough to stir into a smooth consistency.
- Use melted chocolate applied with a toothpick to “glue” the joints of the multi-pieced pretzel letters together.
- Working with one letter at a time, hold the pretzel by one end and use the butter knife to spread on a good coating of chocolate. Quickly press bits of shredded coconut onto the chocolate. Set the coated pretzel on the wax paper until the chocolate sets up.
- Finish up by coating the bare spots (the section you held each pretzel by in step 4) with more chocolate and coconut.