Remy is a rat with a nose for sniffing out delicious treats, and this cheese-shaped cake is no exception. Remy even makes a surprise appearance, poking his head out from inside the cake!
Prep Time: 45 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Total Time:1 hr 5 mins
What You’ll Need
- 2 8-inch round cakes, baked from your favorite recipe
- White frosting, store bought
- Gel food coloring: buttercup, yellow, blue, red
- Orange candy melts, found in baking and craft stores
- 2 marshmallows
- White taffy candy (we used Tootsie Rolls)
- Brown taffy candy (we used Tootsie Rolls)
- Pink taffy candy (we used Starburst)
- White nonpareil sprinkles
- Chocolate wafer cookies
How To Make It
- To start, set aside a quarter cup of white frosting. Tint this frosting gray by first creating a pale lavender color using a tiny drop of blue and red, then adding yellow to create a cement gray color.
- Tint the remaining frosting yellow using the buttercup food coloring.
- Place a cooled 8-inch cake on a cake plate and top with yellow buttercup frosting. Stack the second cake on top of that. Cut a slice from the cake and set it aside. Now frost the entire cake using the buttercup frosting.
- Press orange candy melts, flat side facing up, scattered over the top and sides of the cake, like the holes in a block of Swiss cheese. Set the frosted cake aside.
- Trim the edges of a marshmallow, creating a cone shape.
- Frost the edges of the marshmallow cone using the gray icing you created earlier — this will be Remy’s snout. Place a dollop of gray frosting on the wafer cookie and press the frosted snout on top of that.
- Divide the pink taffy into 3 pieces. Roll one piece into a ball for Remy’s snout. Form the other two pieces into circles and roll the ends to create Remy’s ears.
- Form Remy’s eyes using small pieces of the white taffy. Top with smaller pieces of the brown taffy for pupils. Give Remy’s eyes a sparkle with white nonpareils.
- Place the decorated cookie on top of the cake and make Remy a chef’s hat by cutting a marshmallow in half.
- To make a “Happy Birthday” sign, tape a circle of colored cardstock onto a toothpick and insert in the cake.
Posted 4 months Ago