Dude! Inspired by Finding Nemo’s surfer sea turtle, this egg dish is nutritious, delicious and perfectly sized for squirt-sized appetites.
Nemo, Marlin, and Dory are back for an all-new adventure this summer. Don’t miss Disney•Pixar’s Finding Dory in 3D on June 17th.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Total Time: 25 mins
What You’ll Need
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 10-ounce package chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup shredded white cheese, such as Monterey Jack or mozzarella
- 24 green grapes
- 1/2 green pepper, washed with seeds and ribs removed
How To Make It
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lightly grease mini-muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and sauté onions three to five minutes, or until tender. Add drained spinach and heat through, stirring frequently.
- When spinach is heated, use a teaspoon to scoop the spinach and onion mixture into 24 mini-muffin cups.
- Whisk eggs, salt and pepper in a large bowl. This is a great job for kids.
- Use a ladle to fill the mini-muffin tins 3/4 full with beaten eggs. Do not overfill. Once tins are full, kids can help sprinkle the egg mixture with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden and set.
- While frittatas bake, make your turtle heads and flippers. This requires a sharp paring knife and this is definitely a parent’s job. Make a diagonal cut across the length of the grape, creating a base so that the grape doesn’t roll around.
- Cut a small triangle in the rounded end of the grape and remove the flesh, creating a mouth.
- For the eyes, poke a small hole with your paring knife on each side of the grape. Cut four triangle-shaped flippers from a green pepper for each turtle. Use the small, leftover scraps of pepper to make your turtle’s eyes. Press tiny, green pepper triangles into the holes that you poked on each side of the grape.
- Once they’re cool enough to touch, scoop frittatas from tins. Place a frittata in the center of a plate to function as your turtle shell.
- Place a green grape head at one end and place four green pepper flippers around the frittata shell.
- For a fun garnish, decorate the plate with carrot sticks cut to look like little orange clownfish.