For this week’s #DisneyWeekend assignment, we’re asking your family to imagine your best Disney-inspired gingerbread house. In the spirit of the season, we dreamed up our best gingerbread creation inspired by Wreck-It Ralph! The best part? Getting to say, “I’m gonna wreck-it!” and snacking on the ingredients.
Keep reading to find the recipe to build your own gingerbread house. And be sure to share your masterpiece by tagging @DisneyFamily on Instagram and using the hashtag, #DisneyWeekend.
What You’ll Need:
2 sticks of butter at room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoon cinnamon
1 table spoon ground ginger, ground cloves, and nutmeg
2 teaspoon baking soda
4 cups of flour
4 tablespoon water
Green and red colored candies
How To Make It:
1. Start by blending butter, brown sugar, and molasses together until smooth.
2. Add spices and baking soda.
3. Add one cup of flour at a time, mixing completely in between. Add a tablespoon of water after the first two cups of flour, then another after the last two cups. The dough should be stiff, but not crumbling. Chill dough in fridge for about 30 minutes.
4. Pre-heat oven to 375. Remove the dough from the fridge and divide into two. Roll out the first half of the dough to about 1/4 thick. Kneed dough with hands as needed to soften it up. Begin cutting out the pieces to your gingerbread house.
To create this Wreck-It Ralph design you’ll need:
- The building (4 large pieces)
- Street lamps (lamps & bases 4 total)
- Ralph (1)
- Nicelanders (6)
- Felix (1)
Make sure all pieces are perfectly flat when baking. Bake larger pieces (building walls) for 11 minutes, and smaller pieces (street lamps, Ralph, Nicelanders, Felix) for 8 minutes.
After all the pieces are baked, allow them to cool perfectly flat for at least 10 minutes. During this time you can prep your icing!
3 and 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Food coloring (red, yellow, green, blue)
Instructions: Add one egg white to 1 cup of powdered sugar and mix completely. Next add a second cup of powdered sugar, a second egg white, then another cup of sugar. Mix as you add each ingredient. Add more sugar as needed. Consistency should be pretty thick, but smooth. Place icing into two sandwich sized zip locked bags and chill.
Before decorating, separate small amounts of icing into small bowls. Follow the instructions below to create each color for decorating. Note: Black icing purchased separately.
To create bright red icing, use 4 drops of red food coloring, and 2 drops of yellow food coloring.
To create dark red icing, use 5 drops of red food coloring, 2 drops of yellow, and one drop of green.
To create light blue icing, use 1 drop of blue food coloring.
To create dark blue icing, use 4 drops of blue food coloring.
To create yellow icing, use 3 drops of yellow food coloring.
To Make This Gingerbread House:
1. Once your icing is prepped, start by drawing the windows, doors, and talk bubble on the building pieces. Allow to dry.
2. Attach the walls with icing. Use tall, heavy glasses to keep the pieces in place until dry.
3. Decorate the building walls with candies and licorice. (Tip: Cut the licorice in half lengthwise for lighter licorice that stays in place.)
4. Attach the bases to the street lamps with icing, and then decorate with candy canes.
5. Add an icing base for Ralph and attach him to the top of the building.
6. Write “FIX IT FELIX” with black icing inside the talk bubble.
7. Decorate around the building with Sugar Rush inspired candy decor.
8. Using your homemade icing colors, draw the details of Felix, Ralph, and Nicelanders. Use gum drops or tooth picks to prop up Felix and the Nicelanders in front of the gingerbread building. Happy holidays!